With enthusiastic, dedicated teaching artists, BlackRock is committed to making the arts truly lively and accessible to people living in the communities of Upper Montgomery County.
Macaroni Kid 2018 Gold Daisy Award for Best Art Lessons for Kids
Thank you so much to Macaroni Kid and to all of our families and their readers who voted for BlackRock!
Class and Camp Information
Classes Begin: Monday, January 6
Make-up Week: March 16-22
Closures: January 20 (Martin Luther King’s Birthday) and February 17 (President’s Day)
Classes Begin: Monday, March 23
Make-up Week: June 8-14
Closures: April 6-12 (Spring Break) May 22-25 (Memorial Day Weekend)
Recitals for Conservatory Students: June 6 & 7
Early Registration Ends: March 18
Scholarship Applications Due: March 11
SUMMER CAMPS 2020
Camps Begin: June 22
Early Registration Ends: April 3
Before Care: 7:45 am - 9 am
After Care: 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Camp is OPEN on July 3
Class Level Skills
Skill levels next to each course are provided to help you find a class that is the perfect fit for your experience and background.
Beginner – No experience necessary.
Elementary – Basic knowledge of class and relevant concepts is recommended however basic topics will be covered.
Intermediate – Previous experience in this class or field is recommended as class may move at a quicker pace based on student’s skills.
Advanced – Previous experience in this class or field is required as class is intended to move at a fast pace.
We are so excited to join forces with some of the area’s premiere arts organizations to bring you exciting new classes each season. These organizations are bringing their expertise, outstanding instructors and amazing resources to BlackRock to provide you with a unique, enriching and fun class experience. Our partners include , Kuchipudi Dance Academy, Gottaswing!, Happy Theater, and Synergy Dance Fitness. Be sure to check out their classes as you won't be disappointed!
Expanded Selection of Adult Classes
Our Education Department has made a conscious effort to increase the number of class offerings geared towards adults. These include dance, theater, music, and visual art classes. Many of these classes also offer a drop-in option, allowing you to join a class that session for $15, payable day-of at the Front Desk. Click here for class information.
Not able to commit to a full season of classes? Many of our adult classes currently offer a drop-in option. This allows you to pick and choose the class sessions you would like to attend. The drop-in fee is $15 per session, which is payable day-of at the Front Desk. Only select classes offer a drop-in option. If you are interested, please contact our Front Desk prior to coming to BlackRock to confirm the class is moving forward. The Front Desk can be reached at 301-528-2260.
Day Classes Now Available
Come join us during the day for one of our new weekday morning and afternoon classes! These include a number of fun classes for preschool aged students as well as adults. Classes are subject to availability and are announced when all classes go on sale. Please contact our Front Desk at 301-528-2260 for more information.
If you are not sure whether or not you want to sign up for a conservatory class and want to try the class out first, you or your student can attend the first meeting of select classes for a fee of $25. Please read these policies carefully:
- If you are interested in auditing a class, please request an audit spot by calling our Front Desk at 301-528-2260 with the name and course number of the class you wish to audit along with your personal contact information.
- Not all classes are available for audit and some classes have a highly limited number of audit spots available. We encourage you to make your audit request as soon as possible.
- You may audit more than one class, but you must pay the $25 fee for each class you audit.
- The fee of $25 covers all expenses to attend the first meeting of your selected class and this fee is non-refundable in all cases.
- You may not request an audit spot for any piano class until 2 weeks prior to the first meeting of that piano class. Audit spots may not be available.
- Spots in classes as well as audit spots are limited, we encourage you to sign up for the full class as soon as possible to secure your enrollment.
A limited number of partial scholarships are available and are awarded on the basis of financial need. Our scholarship application is available on our website or in hard copy at our Front Desk. Scholarship deadlines are listed in the Important Dates section above. For information about scholarships, please click here.
We are proud to offer military personnel a 5% discount on all classes at the time of registration. Some exceptions apply and customer may be asked to present valid ID.
Seniors (62 and over) may receive a 10% discount on eligible classes at the time of registration. Some exceptions apply. In order to take advantage of this discount you must register your birthday on your BlackRock account.
Paying for Classes
There are a couple options available to pay for a class. The first is to pay the tuition in-full at the time of registration or you can enroll in our available payment plans if eligible.
Conservatory Payment Plans:
- Monthly: Tuition divided into 10 payments total: First payment plus a $50 processing fee due at the time of registration. All remaining payments will be automatically charged to the credit card on file at 12:01am on the 1st of every month between September 2018 and May or June of 2019.
- Three-Part Payment Plan: Tuition divided into 3 payments total: 34% plus a $25 processing fee due at the time of registration. The second and third payments of 33% will be automatically charged to the credit card on file at 12:01 am on November 1, 2018 and February 1, 2019.
- Two-Part Payment Plan: First half of tuition, plus a $20 processing fee due at the time of registration. The second payment will be automatically charged to the credit card on file at 12:01 am on February 1, 2019.
Seasonal Payment Plan:
- Two-Part Payment Plan: First half of tuition, plus a $20 processing fee due at the time of registration. The second payment must be set up to automatically charge to a credit card on file on an agreed upon date prior to the start of class. This payment plan must be set up by a Front Desk Associate or the Education Manager.