With enthusiastic, dedicated teaching artists, BlackRock is committed to making the arts truly lively and accessible to people living in the communities of Upper Montgomery County.
Summer Classes are Now On Sale!
Members of BlackRock enjoy great benefits such as discounts on classes.
By joining at the Fan level, you can save 10% per class per student, plus the multitude of other benefits members at this level receive. Not a member? Join today and save!
Student Literary Magazine
We are very excited to announce the first edition of our new student literary magazine, Gemstone. All of the stories, articles, poems, and artwork that appears in this magazine are contributions from our students from this winter's Lit Mag Jr. class. Students also picked fonts, designed the layout, and created the cover. Please feel free to pick up a copy from one of our brochure racks in the lobby or download a copy by clicking the link below. Congratulations to all of our students writers and artists and enjoy the magazine!
The next session of Lit Mag Jr. starts on April 9th. Click here for more information on the class.
We are thrilled to have won Macaroni Kid's 2018 Gold Daisy Award for Best Art Lessons for Kids
Thank you so much to Macaroni Kids and to all of our families and their readers who voted for BlackRock!
Important Dates for 2018-2019
CONSERVATORY AND FALL 2018
Classes Begin: Monday, September 10
Make-up Week: December 10-16
Closures: November 19-25 (Thanksgiving)
Winter Demonstrations for Conservatory Students: Saturday, December 8 and Sunday, December 9
Early Registration Ends: September 5
Scholarship Applications Due: August 17
Classes Begin: Monday, January 7
Make-up Week: March 18-24
Closures: January 21 (Martin Luther King’s Birthday) and February 18 (President’s Day)
Early Registration Ends: January 2
Scholarship Applications Due: December 7
Classes Begin: Monday, March 25
Make-up Week: June 10-13 and June 21-23
Closures: April 16-21 (Easter Break) May 24-27 (Memorial Day Weekend)
Recitals for Conservatory Students: June 7 – 9
Early Registration Ends: March 27
Scholarship Applications Due: March 9
Class Level Skills
Skill levels next to each course are provided to help you find a class that is the perfect fit for your experience and background.
Beginner – No experience necessary.
Elementary – Basic knowledge of class and relevant concepts is recommended however basic topics will be covered.
Intermediate – Previous experience in this class or field is recommended as class may move at a quicker pace based on student’s skills.
Advanced – Previous experience in this class or field is required as class is intended to move at a fast pace.
We are so excited to join forces with some of the area’s premiere arts organizations to bring you exciting new classes each season. These organizations are bringing their expertise, outstanding instructors and amazing resources to BlackRock to provide you with a unique, enriching and fun class experience. Our partners include Soul in Motion Players, Inc., Kuchipudi Dance Academy, Gottaswing!, Happy Theater, Noteable Progressions Music Therapy Services, Synergy Dance Fitness and Stand-Up Studios. Be sure to check out their classes as you won't be disappointed!
Expanded Selection of Adult Classes
Our Education Department has made a conscious effort to increase the number of class offerings geared towards adults. These include dance, theater, music, and visual art classes. Many of these classes also offer a drop-in option, allowing you to join a class that session for $15, payable day-of at the Front Desk. Click here for class information.
Not able to commit to a full season of classes? Many of our adult classes currently offer a drop-in option. This allows you to pick and choose the class sessions you would like to attend. The drop-in fee is $15 per session, which is payable day-of at the Front Desk. Only select classes offer a drop-in option. If you are interested, please contact our Front Desk prior to coming to BlackRock to confirm the class is moving forward. The Front Desk can be reached at 301-528-2260.
Day Classes Now Available
Come join us during the day for one of our new weekday morning and afternoon classes! These include a number of fun classes for preschool aged students as well as adults. Classes are subject to availability and are announced when all classes go on sale. Please contact our Front Desk at 301-528-2260 for more information.
If you are not sure whether or not you want to sign up for a conservatory class and want to try the class out first, you or your student can attend the first meeting of select classes for a fee of $25. Please read these policies carefully:
- If you are interested in auditing a class, please request an audit spot by calling our Front Desk at 301-528-2260 with the name and course number of the class you wish to audit along with your personal contact information.
- Not all classes are available for audit and some classes have a highly limited number of audit spots available. We encourage you to make your audit request as soon as possible.
- You may audit more than one class, but you must pay the $25 fee for each class you audit.
- The fee of $25 covers all expenses to attend the first meeting of your selected class and this fee is non-refundable in all cases.
- You may not request an audit spot for any piano class until 2 weeks prior to the first meeting of that piano class. Audit spots may not be available.
- Spots in classes as well as audit spots are limited, we encourage you to sign up for the full class as soon as possible to secure your enrollment.
A limited number of partial scholarships are available and are awarded on the basis of financial need. Our scholarship application is available on our website or in hard copy at our Front Desk. Scholarship deadlines are listed in the Important Dates section above. For information about scholarships, please click here.
We are proud to offer military personnel a 5% discount on all classes at the time of registration. Some exceptions apply and customer may be asked to present valid ID.
Seniors (62 and over) may receive a 10% discount on eligible classes at the time of registration. Some exceptions apply. In order to take advantage of this discount you must register your birthday on your BlackRock account.
Paying for Classes
There are a couple options available to pay for a class. The first is to pay the tuition in-full at the time of registration or you can enroll in our available payment plans if eligible.
Conservatory Payment Plans:
- Monthly: Tuition divided into 10 payments total: First payment plus a $50 processing fee due at the time of registration. All remaining payments will be automatically charged to the credit card on file at 12:01am on the 1st of every month between September 2018 and May or June of 2019.
- Three-Part Payment Plan: Tuition divided into 3 payments total: 34% plus a $25 processing fee due at the time of registration. The second and third payments of 33% will be automatically charged to the credit card on file at 12:01am on November 1, 2018 and February 1, 2019.
- Two-Part Payment Plan: First half of tuition, plus a $20 processing fee due at the time of registration. The second payment will be automatically charged to the credit card on file at 12:01am on February 1, 2019.
Seasonal Payment Plan:
- Two-Part Payment Plan: First half of tuition, plus a $20 processing fee due at the time of registration. The second payment must be set up to automatically charge to a credit card on file on an agreed upon date prior to the start of class. This payment plan must be set up by a Front Desk Associate or the Director of Education and Special Events.