Counselors in Training Summer Camp Program
LEADERSHIP | ARTS EDUCATION | VISUAL ARTS | PERFORMING ARTS | MENTORSHIP | REFLECTION | GROWTH
CIT Registration - Postponed
Beginning Summer 2020, BlackRock Education will host a comprehensive Counselor in Training (CIT) youth leadership program serving its camps, including Arts Journeys, Performing Arts, Multi-Arts and Ballet. The new BlackRock Counselor in Training Program is closely aligned with the National Youth Leadership Council’s K-12 Service-Learning Standards for Quality Practice.
Qualified CITs must be at least fourteen through sixteen years of age with an interest and passion for the arts, visual arts, performing arts, education, and working with youth. Interested participants will serve as mentors, role models, and engaged leaders in every facet of summer camp at BlackRock Center for the Arts. This is the perfect opportunity for youth seeking future endeavors or employment at BlackRock, or for those that share passion for the arts and education.
A CIT’s role may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in mandatory, half-day CIT training prior to the start of summer. This takes place the week leading up to camp.
- Implement and assist in the execution of activities, projects and performances as needed.
- Maintain heightened awareness of participants and environment.
- Assist in the supervision of students at the beginning, end, and transitions throughout the program day.
- Engage enthusiastically in all activities, modeling and assisting camp participants.
- Serve as a mentor to all campers promoting a positive attitude, teamwork, social emotional well-being, appropriate language and conversations, and safety among participants.
- Build relationships with campers to engage and include, but not befriend, program participants.
- Collaborate with Directors or Counselors to answer programmatic questions and improve overall experience for all campers.
- Engage in weekly reflection, team building and young leadership modules.
Complete all required paperwork, and the reflection statement in compliance with the MCPS SSL Form-560-50.
Application Required Components
- CIT Form Submission: Interested candidates complete the BlackRock CIT Summer Camp Application, which includes a statement of interest, by April 3, 2020.
- Reference Form Submissions (2): Candidates request reference forms from two adults (excluding all family members) who know the candidate’s ability to fulfill program roles. *Submissions may include teachers, coaches, troop leaders, neighbors, or other role models in their community.
- Interview: A brief 15-minute interview, phone or in person, hosted by the Director of Education at BlackRock Center for the Arts. Candidates will be notified to set-up an appointment.
- Attend mandatory CIT Youth Leadership Training: Wednesday, June 17 from 9 AM – 12 PM.
Selected CITs will be notified by April 17 with included registration information. The number of CITs selected will be based on camper enrollment projections for each camp. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply to the programs, and frequency of service they wish to participate.
Fee: $125.00 per week
CLICK HERE for more information about the MSDE K-12 Service – Learning Standards for Quality Practice.
CLICK HERE for more information about the MCPS SSL program requirements.