Volunteering at BlackRock is fulfilling: whether helping out with performances and special events, welcoming visitors to our art galleries, or providing front desk and administrative assistance, BlackRock volunteers are constantly gaining exposure to arts and the community. Volunteers earn free tickets to performances. Students may earn Student Service Learning (SSL) hours.
“Always wanted to be involved with the Arts in one form or another and now I’ve been given the opportunity. I find it to be rewarding in many ways. Thank you BlackRock- you rock!” ~Laverne Ortiz (BlackRock Volunteer)
If you would like to become a BlackRock volunteer, please complete a Volunteer Profile Application and return it via mail, email, fax, or you can drop it off in person. Once received, you will be added to our volunteer database and contacted as opportunities become available. Questions? Give us a call at 301-528-2260.
Performance and Special Event Volunteer Opportunities:
Performance volunteers are trained to serve as ushers, to staff the information desk and galleries, to provide directions and other information inside the theater and to hand out programs and welcome patrons to BlackRock. During special events, volunteers may serve in a variety of capacities helping with arts and crafts tables and other activities, helping with the silent auction during our annual gala, registering patrons for events, and more.
Gallery Volunteer Opportunities:
BlackRock is seeking volunteers who are interested in welcoming visitors to our art galleries. Gallery Volunteers generally greet the public while seated at a desk where they can read, study, work on a laptop or tablet, knit, sketch, etc. During special events, Gallery Volunteers may be stationed at various locations to greet larger groups attending gallery receptions, tours, artist talks, hands-on art making activities, and other programs. Prospective volunteers should be interested in visual art and enjoy interacting with the public.
Administrative Volunteer Opportunities:
Administrative Volunteers help at the front desk, relieving staff for lunch breaks by answering the phones and providing assistance to visitors. They also provide help with data entry and mailings.
Part-Time Staff Accountant Volunteer or Intern
MAJOR PURPOSE OF THIS JOB:
The Part-Time Staff Accountant is responsible for the timely and accurate posting of accounts receivable, accounts payable, leave balance calculations and various other accounting entries. This position requires the employee to assist the Director of Finance with various accounting tasks with high standards of accuracy and confidentiality to sensitive information.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Receipt entries from all sources (tuition, ticket sales, corporate and individual donations, facility rental fees, concession and merchandise and/or art sales, and grants)
• Accounts receivable entry; documentation validation; receipts posting; monthly progress reports.
• Accounts payable-receipt posting of payables, coding from department heads and maintenance of an invoice payment schedule.
• Leave balance calculation and monthly reporting.
• Bi-weekly payroll processing
• Monthly reconciliations as assigned.
• Monthly journal entries as assigned
• Assist with box office cash box preparation and lock box receipts retrieval
• Serve as engaged and involved team member, supportive of the varied experiences and perspectives of internal and external customers
• Assume other responsibilities as assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sit, stand, walk and work at a computer, relative to an office environment
• Ability to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings, as required
HOW TO APPLY:
Email resume with cover letter to email@example.com.