BlackRock is pleased to offer select performances in the 2015-16 season are sensory-friendly. Sensory-friendly performances are designed to create a performing arts experience that is welcoming to all families with children with autism or with other disabilities that create sensory sensitivities.
What you can expect at sensory-friendly performances:
- Reduction of loud noises, jarring sounds and flashing or strobe lighting effects
- Low lights on in the audience of the theater so families can enter and exit easily.
- Accommodated house rules: audience members might use technology such as hearing devices, tablets and phones to help with communication and understanding of the performance.
- Permission to move around in certain parts of the theater as long as the actual stage is avoided.
- A designated space for any family that needs a quiet spot to rest before, during or after the performance.
Sensory-Friendly Performances in BlackRock’s 2015-16 Season:
- Fancy Splendiferous Christmas | Sunday, December 6 | 2:00 pm
- Good Night Moon & Runaway Bunny | Sunday, March 20| 3:00 pm
- Love that Dog | Saturday, April 9 | 2:00 pm
BlackRock Social Story
A Social Story is a written story that shows information about a social situation to convey behavioral expectations and prepare for a new environment. It is a common tool for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders, created to structure social skills, improve appropriate behavior, and increase engagement.